Happy new year & Happy Pana Sankranti to all !!!!
Pana Sankranti is the traditional new year of Odisha, India. The festival is celebrated with visits to Shiva, Shakti, or Hanuman temples, as the day is considered to be the birthday of Hanuman. As per solar method, Surya (Sun) transits to Mesha rashi (constellation Aries) a on this day and is over Visubha rekha (Equator). the day is also known as Mesha sankranti, Maha vishubha sankranti and Meru sankranti. The day is called Pana sankranti because a special drink called Pana is served on this day.
On this day an earthen pot is filled with “Pana” which is mixture of split Bengal gram flour, banana, curd, cottage cheese, mango and Jaggery. Then the pot is hanged over a Basil (Tulsi) tree. A hole is made at the bottom of the pot to allow “Pana” water to fall drop by drop and also offering to the God and Goddesses to begin of the New Year. Today i am sharing the preparation of “Pana which is healthy and tasty also.
Lets start the recipe of pana
Prepation Time:15 min
Recipe Category: Odiya
course: side dish
- Chhatua /satu- 3tbsp
- Milk – 2cup
- Curd/Dahi – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Paneer/ Chena – 1/2 cup
- Ripe banana – 1 Chopped
- Apple – ½ cup Chopped
- Grapes – 1/2 cup chopped
- Pomegranate seeds -1/2cup
- Sugar /jagerry- 8 tbsp or as per required
- Chopped cashew – 1 tbsp
- Chopped almond – 1 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder – 1tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Steps of Pana recipe:
1. Put Sattu into a bowl. Pour little milk and mix it.
2. Add sugar, curd, rest of milk ,mix properly.
3. Put smashed banana and cheese cottage and mix it.
4. Add 1tbsp fresh pepper powder, cardamom powder, chopped apple, pomegranate seeds, grapes, coconut and dry fruits and mix it properly.
5. Pana is ready to serve.Pour in serving glass and garnish with coconut,pomegrate seeds.
Hope you all will love this easy recipe.Please do share your comments .