Ada Hengu Khechudi /Khichdi is a simple and flavourful recipe.This Khichdi is the combination of Rice and Dal flavored with grated ginger and asafoetida.
In Lingaraj Temple,Bhubaneswar,odissa this recipe is named as Oria but in jagannath temple it is known as “Ada Khechudi”.Khechudi is served as prasad in Puri Jaganath temple in orissa. It is also a part of chhapan bhog/Maha prasad(56 varities of dishes offered to Lord Jagananath). This flavourful rice pairs perfectly with Dalma.
This recipe is prepared in lots of custom and clay pot in the temple. I am sharing this recipe in a very easy way by using pressure cooker in home.
Preparation Time : 15min Cooking Time : 30min
INGREDIENTS OF ADA HING KHICHDI
- Rice-1cup(soaked for 15 min)
- Whole Green Gram -1/2cup (soaked-4-5hr)
- Grated Ginger /crushed – 2 table spoons
- Bay Leaf -1-2
- Ghee – 3-4 tbs
- Whole Peppercorns – 10-15
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbs
- Asafoetida or Hing – 1/2tbs
- Grated coconut-1/2cup
- Salt to taste
Steps of Ada Hing Khichdi recipe:
- Take a pressure cooker and add the Ghee .
- When Ghee is little hot add Bay leaf,grated ginger,cumin seeds,peppercorns and saute it for 20-30 secs, so that it releases its flavor .
- Now add washed and soaked rice and whole green grams in the pressure cooker. Saute for 1-2 min.
4.Add salt,sugar,hing ,grated coconut and mix everything well.
5. Then add 2cups of water and mix well.
6.Cover the lid and cook till its done (I cook till 2 whistle is released).
7.Serve hot by adding a table spoon of ghee.
1.The ratio of rice and lentil should be 2:1 .
2.Water should be double the amount of rice.
3.you can use oil instead of ghee.But with ghee it gives divine feeling.
4.Before serving add 1 tbs of ghee for more flavor.
Hope you all will love this Maha prasad recipe.. Try this recipe on the occasion of Ratha yatra.Please do share your comments .
Happy cooking !!!!!!!!!!!!