Raja Parba or Mithuna Sankranti is the unique festival of Odisha, India . The festival that celebrates menstruation is natively pronounced as ‘raw-jaw’, while ‘Raja’ is derived from the world ‘Rajaswala’ which means menstruating women.
According to the religious belief, it is said that during the first three days, ‘Bhudevi’ (Mother Earth), the wife of Lord Jagannath undergoes menstruation cycle and on the fourth day, she is given a ceremonial bath.
Each day of the festival has its own name and significance — the first day is called Pahili Rajo, the second day is Mithuna Sankranti, which signifies the beginning of the solar month of Mithuna i.e., the rainy season; the third day is Bhu Daaha or Basi Raja and the fourth day is called Vasumati Snana.
It inaugurates and welcomes the agricultural year all over Odisha, which marks, through biological symbolism, the moistening of the sun dried soil with the first showers of the monsoon in mid June thus making it ready for productivity.
In this occasion young girls wear new clothes and put Alata in their feet and spending time on swings( dolies ) , playing indoor and outdoor games and eating scrumptious food.
In these three days, they don’t walk bare-foot do not scratch the earth, do not grind, do not tear anything apart, do not cut and do not cook.
The Raja festival is incomplete without special songs and Poda pitha(baked cake).
Today is the beginning of Raja parba in Odisha. Enjoy chenna poda…
Lets start the recipe
Chenna Poda Recipe
Chenna Poda Recipe is a popular dessert from Orissa. It is made of homemade fresh chenna, sugar, cashew nuts and raisins and is baked until it get a thick caramelized coating from all the sides .
so try this very delicious Chenna Poda recipe
Preparation Time : 30 min Cooking Time : 1hour
INGREDIENTS OF CHENNA PODA
- Paneer (Homemade Cottage Cheese)- 250 grams
- Powdered jagarry-½ cup
- Ghee 1-1/2 tablespoons
- Milk -4 tablespoons
- Sooji (Semolina/ Rava)- ¼ cup
- Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Almond,chopped,as required
- Raisins , as required
Steps of Chenna poda recipe:
1.At first take fresh paneer or homemade chenna and mash it well with your hands.
2. Add powdered jagarry and cardamom powder and mix all together properly.
3. Add sooji, ghee and milk and mix it properly .
4. In a baking pan or a tin, add 1 tablespoon of ghee and spread all over the base.
5. Take a heavy bottom vessel to bake the chenna poda.
6. Add 11/2 cup salt/sand ,then keep a stand and preheat it in medium flame for sometime/5min.
7. Grease the cake tin with ghee,then add prepared chenna mix into it.
8. Carefully place the cake tin into the heavy bottom pan.
9. Then cover it with a tight lid and bake it on low-medium flame for 40 min.
10. After 40 min,it turned to dark brown/ check by Inserting a toothpick to check if it is cooked.
11. Take out the baked chenna poda and cool it .
12. Hold the pan upside down on a serving tray and remove the chenna poda carefully.
13. Cut into slices and enjoy in this Raja!